Daughters of the American Revolution
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Our Jane Sheldon Chapter is located on the east coast of central Florida in New Smyrna Beach. Our southern border is defined by Cape Canaveral National Seashore, and our northern border is sculpted by the majestic Ponce de Leon Inlet. To the locals, our populated areas are "beachside" on the barrier island, and "the mainland."
The ocean vistas, the ever present trade winds, and silver sand beaches most certainly prompted Dr. Andrew Turnbull, his wife, and other colonists, to settle here in New Smyrna, circa 1768. Native wildlife abounds in this climate, including the endangered loggerhead turtles, dolphins, and manatees, along with countless butterflies and flowers of every color and fragrance.
Daily sightseeing trips upon the Indian River provide passages back into New Smyrna history. Your destination choices might include the Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse, archaeological sites, shopping on historic Canal and Flagler Streets, luncheons at ocean and riverside restaurants, or a boat trip through the expansive Indian River Estuary.
The Jane Sheldon Chapter was organized on October 29, 1925, by Mrs. Zelia Wilson Sweett. The recruiting stage began earlier with the assistance of Florida State Regent Mrs. Theodore Strawn, who was visiting New Smyrna at the time, and suggested that a new chapter was needed to preserve the history of this community, and aid in the preservation of the many historical spots in the vicinity. They were able to form a chapter with six new members and six members from the disbanded Victoria Sheldon Chapter.
Please join us! Contact our Regent Nanci Agett for information.
Our relaxed, kick-back beach attitude inspires us all!
Web Design: Anne M. Langs
Judith A. Bickford
Website last updated: July 06, 2017
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters